Monday, September 29, 2008

Connections

The last two weeks have been great at Ypsi high. Students were fresh off their breaks and often in their good behaviors. In geometry we have been continuing our study of angles, and studying about how congruent angles can result from transversal lines. The students have been understanding the concepts and doing well in their homework and quizzes. In Algebra, we finished up studying system of linear equations and inequalities, and this week we have started looking at exponents. The students had an easier time learning about exponents that the previous section.

The seats in the class room have been rearranged so that students are seating in groups of three or four. This has made it easier for me to go around and talk to students group by group. Students also have been more willing to ask questions in their groups rather than the class as a whole because they don't feel like they are being put on the spot light. Communication has got better as I am learning most of their names, and they are growing at ease with me being in class.

Mrs. Lewis had been sick the past couple of weeks, so most of the regular teaching is done by the student-teacher aide. When I am in class, we coordinate our efforts to reach out to all the students. I think the most meaningful help so far has been when I work one on one with students. This week I have spent chunks of the class time working with a few struggling students, and I am pleased by the results. In geometry, for example, I worked with a student who has been trying to catch up with the class material. After spending about half an hour with him covering the lessons from the week, he took the quiz and did really well.

All in all, things seem to be going well, and I am especially enjoying the personal relationships that I am developing with the students. Frankly, I think that is what really matters. After all, Mrs. Lewis and the student teacher do a great job presenting the lesson, and I think the best help I can provide is give an additional dimension to the material, and make connections with students.

No comments: