Monday, September 29, 2008

"So, how can I help you?"

Last Wednesday was my first day at Ypsi High. I have been assigned to work with Mrs. Lewis, who teaches math to freshman and sophomores. I was a few minutes early for our appointment, so I got to sit in the back and observe how the class was going. This particular class, I learned later, is sort of a catch-up for grade 10 students who did not do very well freshman year. The course this semester is intro to geometry.
The real surprise, however, came later after the students had left. When I started to talk to the teacher, almost the very first question I got was, "So, how can I help you?". I was caught a bit off guard as my understanding was that the teachers were well aware of the program and informed about its details. I tried to explain about the partnership between the CoE at umich and YPSD and the outreach program. Another almost unexpected question was "What is your objective in doing this?". I stated the underlying motivation is to help students understand the significance of the basic math and science principles they are learning and to introduce some real life applications and connections. By doing so, I intend to encourage students to do well in the STEM fields and get them enthusiased about college.
I should be starting regular class room attendance this week. I plan to assist in algebra and geometry, and figure out how best I can help the students.

No comments: