Monday, September 29, 2008

Second week, survey

This week was my second week at Ypsi high. I am getting used to the classes, the students and the environment. I help with Algebra in the second hour and geometry during the third hour. The students were coming back from a 5 day break on Wednesday, so a lot of time was spent reviewing material from the previous week and getting them back on track. In the Algebra class, there was a test on Thursday, so the students were given a practice test. I helped students who had questions with some of the problems. In geometry class, we covered two more new sections, which were a continuation of the study of segments and angles.

The 3rd period is a little harder to manage. This came especially apparent today as the main teacher was performing other duties in the school, and the teaching aide took over the class. Well over half of the class was spent trying to bring quite and discipline. This really makes me appreciate what teachers do everyday. It simply is not easy.

We administered the initial surveys from the Partnership at the beginning of the geometry class. I did not get a chance to look deep in to the results, but from what I scanned over, there were quite a few interesting things. I was especially pleased that a lot the responders said that they intend to go to college right after high school. I would have to say, however, the highest point came when I helped a student spell 'computer engineering' for the question that asked 'what are your top five career goals?' I could hear my self saying 'atta boy, great choice!'. Of course, I might have been a little biased.

No comments: